January 6, 2014

Ameera Noor Pearl Statement Necklace Knock-Off


So a couple of weeks back I saw this gorgeous Ameera Noor pearl statement necklace on Jane.com. Well, since I'm challenging myself to not buy anything non-necessary (for myself) during the entire 2014 year, I had to quickly click away so as not to be tempted. (Perhaps it would be wise to unsubscribe from the amazing Jane.com deal site in order to help me with this challenge? Ahem.) Besides, I'm a jewelry-maker. After admiring the necklace and studying photos, I realized, 'hey--I could probably make something similar with items I already have'. So I gathered my supplies and eagerly got to work. 


Hoo boy. This necklace was a lot more work than I expected it to be. I figured making all the pearl dangles would take the most time. Nope. Those are fairly simple to make, just a bit tedious (especially when you end up needing twice as many pearls as you anticipated). So what was the difficult part? Getting the layers of chain and rhinestones to lay together nicely, connecting them with jump rings so they'd move as one piece and not separate chains, and then attaching all the pearls in a balanced, aesthetically pleasing way and making sure they covered as much of the chain base as possible. Not difficult in theory, but it involved a LOT of connecting jump rings and chain, disconnecting jump rings and chain, reconnecting jump rings and chain, changing chain lengths so they'd curve together well, and moving pearl dangles around multiple times to get the right balance. Of course, now that I have the first version all figured out to my liking I could probably make subsequent necklaces in half the time (which is pretty much true of every complex piece of jewelry I create).


A few things in hindsight: 
-The pearls I used--although of graduating sizes--were still smaller than the pearls in the original piece, so I ended up using almost twice as many as I anticipated. 
-Also, the heavy cable chain I used was fairly inexpensive (which I intended--I won't spend lots of money on supplies for jewelry that will probably only be in style for a season or two), so when I tried to open links to divide the chain into shorter lengths my jewelry pliers left serious marks. If I were to make a piece like this to sell in my Etsy shop I'd probably splurge for higher-quality base materials.
-A piece doesn't have to match the inspiration piece exactly to still be a success. I'm often inspired by other jewelry in my own design process, but I rarely try to recreate a piece exactly. Still, I really like this piece, even though it turned out different in several ways from the original inspiration, and I can't wait to wear it! I love that current fashion trends encourage fancy statement necklaces to be paired with casual outfits; it gives me more opportunities to wear it!


Materials used:
-36" of thick cable chain, gold-tone base metal, $4 (with a coupon I got it for $2.40)
-7 1/2" of rhinestone decorative chain, $1.29 (clearance)
-Gold-tone jump rings, 4mm, free (I used some I already had in my supplies)
-Gold-tone jump rings, 6mm, $4 for a package of 144 (I used maybe a third of a package?)
-Gold-tone head pins, $4 for a package of ~80 (I used a whole package, plus some I already had in my supplies)
-Gold-tone lobster clasp, free (I already had a package of several in my supplies)
-Glass pearls, 4mm, approximately 20 used; $4 for a package of 290, so about $.28 for what I used
-Glass pearls, 6mm, approximately 60 used; $4 for a package of 190, so about $1.28 for what I used
-Glass pearls, 8mm, approximately 12 used; $4 for a package of 120, so about $.40 for what I used
-Glass pearls, 10mm, approximately 11 used; $4 for a package of 72, so about $.60 for what I used

Total cost: ~ $ 11.60

The original Ameera Noor version sold for $75, so my total cost comes in at about 85% less! That makes me pretty happy with my homemade knockoff, even if it's not an exact replica.



What do you think? Too statement-y for you, or right up your alley? What would you wear a necklace like this with? I'd love to know.

Sarah Marie

Linking up with:
Take-A-Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts
Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims
We Did It! Wednesday at Sew Much Ado 
Show & Tell at Gingerly Made
Link Party Palooza at Tatertots and Jello
Think Pink Sunday at Flamingo Toes
Made by You Monday at Skip to My Lou 

18 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous necklace, I could see myself wearing that to work with a black top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I have a solid black boat neck tee it'd look great with. Thanks for the inspiration!

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful! I love it!! Totally not too statement like, right up my ally :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! I'm working on some even *more* statement-y statement necklaces right now...we'll see if I get too flashy with those lol :)

      Delete
  3. I love it! I wish I could do something like that! I would wear it ALL THE TIME. Thanks for sharing your talents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Traci :) If you have basic jewelry-making knowledge, you could totally make one of these. Truly the technique was not hard; it just involved a lot of trial-and-error getting things lined up! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE this and I hope I will get the gumption to attempt making one too. Thank-you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) If you give making one of these a try, let me know how it turns out! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! I'm not good with statement necklaces but LOVE when other people can pull them off. The white on white is lovely. If you're interested, I'd love to have you link up to the link party going on right now at Gingerly Made. http://www.gingerlymade.com/2014/01/show-tell-59.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginger! I appreciate you stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Holy wow, this is absolutely stunning! Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks really pretty but I hoping to read about how you aligned the chains together - I always have that problem when making cluster necklaces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Divya,
      I hope to have an actual tutorial for a similar necklace in the future. I ended up changing this one around so much that it was impossible for me to write a clear tutorial on how I made it work!

      Delete

Got a question or comment? My ear is yours.