February 11, 2014

More 'Heirloom' Necklaces With My Grandma's Vintage Jewels


I'm not posting a tutorial this week since I posted two last week, but I wanted to show you the other two necklaces I made using some more pieces of my grandma's vintage jewelry. The two I'm showing you today were both made following the same steps as my DIY Mixed Metals Statement Necklace, so they're a little different from the first and second 'heirloom' necklaces I blogged about. These were just as quick and easy though, and both gorgeous additions to my favorite outfits.


I love love LOVE this yellow version. Not all of the pieces are vintage, but all of the yellow ones are. It's special to me both because of the 'heirloom' pieces it contains and also because of the color--the yellow rhinestones are reminiscent of citrines, and citrine is my birthstone. When I was younger I was SO not a fan of citrine...to me it was this ugly, almost dirty yellow color. Now, I can't get enough of it. It's sort of a sophisticated neutral among the plethora of colored gemstones.





I used bronze chain and gold and brass findings on this necklace since the yellow is such a warm tone. Plus, I think bronze really keeps with the vintage colors, even if using heavy chain is a bit modern.



The second piece is chock full of lovely blue rhinestones in a variety of shades. Again, two of the pieces (the round, clear rhinestone pieces) in this necklace are not vintage, but I added them for a little extra visual interest. I used one of my grandma's vintage brooches as the focal piece and surrounded it with a few pairs of her earrings. It falls pretty high on my 'love' list as well, since blue is my favorite color.





I went with hematite-colored chain and silver and gunmetal findings for this necklace since blue is a cool tone, and I doubled up the chain since I wanted a chunkier look (and it's another way to add a little extra visual interest). I love that the lobster clasp has little jewels in it, although I wish the bright silver jump rings were a little duller and didn't look so shiny and new.

I love these 'heirloom' statement necklaces and the family history they hold; I can't wait to wear them!

Do you love vintage jewelry? Do you enjoy the current big, sparkly statement necklace trend? I'd love to know.

Sarah Marie


Linking up with:

Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims
We Did It! Wednesday at Sew Much Ado 
Show & Tell at Gingerly Made
Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest
The Party Bunch at 30 Handmade Days
Link Party Palooza at Tatertots and Jello
Think Pink Sunday at Flamingo Toes
I Made This and Love It at Make It and Love It
Take-A-Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful creations! I love both of them equally......

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful I have some vintage jewelry but do not wear it because to me it is a treasure I can remember going to my mothers and grandmothers jewelry box and admiring all I saw thanks for sharing your own treasures

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I'm definitely going to do this... Happy to have found your link at the Flamingo Toes party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teri! I hope you enjoy making some of your own!

      Delete
  4. i love that first one, and what a special piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too--I think it's my favorite of all the necklaces I made from my grandma's jewelry!

      Delete

Got a question or comment? My ear is yours.