August 22, 2014

Stacked Double Beaded Tribal Necklace and Tutorial


First off, let me apologize for the rotten pictures in this tutorial. I made this necklace and photographed it two weeks after moving into our new house, and wasn't quite used to the new lighting yet. Hopefully it doesn't detract too much from the overall look of the necklace!

This necklace is based on another Anthropologie piece, but I changed the look and feel of it a bit in order to use the beads I had on hand and to give it a bit of a tribal vibe. Here's the Anthro necklace that inspired me:


I was more inspired by the technique than by the colors. And the $348 price tag? Pretty ridiculous in my book. I figured I could use the idea of how the beads were stacked above and below the chain, but put my own spin on the colors, sizes, and style of the beads. And that's exactly what I did.


I had some beautiful, large green magnesite beads and some smaller cherry quartz beads that I really wanted to use up, so I played around with the layout and chose some clear rock crystal beads and a handful of cobalt-colored glass beads to compliment the green and pink beads without detracting from them too much or making the necklace too 'busy'.


I really like how it turned out! And the technique for making this necklace is so easy that I can show you in just a few simple steps. 

1. Gather your supplies:
-Beads
-Medium or large link chain in whatever length you'd like your necklace to be (smaller link chain does not work well for this style--the beads just won't sit nicely)
-Clasp and jump rings to attach it to the chain
-Enough head pins for however many 'stacks' of beads you create (I used ball head pins for a little extra ornamentation)
-Wire snips
-Round nose pliers
-Chain nose pliers

Supplies, sans chain and clasp and a few beads. I used beading wire to string my
magnesite beads because the holes were too big for my head pins; just ignore this wire.

2. Find the center point of your chain and mark that link somehow (I sometimes string the link on a pair of pliers, or lay the chain down in such a manner that the specific link sticks out somehow, etc.)

3. Determine which bead will be at the very center of your necklace. Take that center bead, string it onto a head pin, and then thread the head pin through the center chain link you marked in step 2 above so that the bead is on the bottom side of the chain.


4. Thread another bead onto the same head pin (this second bead should be sitting on top of the chain, whereas the first bead should be hanging under the chain.


5. Trim the excess wire above the top bead leaving about a 1/4 of an inch and create a small simple loop using your round nose pliers. The loop should fit snugly against the top bead. The bead stack as a whole should be fairly snug (but not so tight that it bows). Alternatively, instead of creating a simple loop, don't trim down the wire and instead you can create a wrapped loop (trimming the wire tail off after wrapping). This is what I did--I just like the added security of the wire being wrapped.


6. Continue adding all beads/stacks using the same technique as far up both sides of your chain as you'd like. Make sure to skip at least one chain link (and if you choose to skip more than one link make sure to skip an odd number of links; otherwise your bead stacks will hang at different angles) between each bead stack. Also, make sure that your chain is not twisted as you add your bead stacks so that they all hang in the same direction; you don't want to finish and find that some of your bead stacks are upside down.


7. Add your clasp to your chain using jump rings and you're finished. 


Easiest necklace ever, right? And what an impact it makes!


You could make so many variations of this--different colors, styles of beads, etc.


I love this mix of vibrant colors, shapes and textures.


And it's such an interesting technique--sure to be an attention-getter wherever you wear it.


 The only thing left now is to figure out what you're going to wear it with!


Perfect to jazz up a simple summer maxi skirt.


How would you wear this necklace? What mix of colors or stones would you use? I'd love to know!

Sarah

Linking up with:

9 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! Way better than the Anthropology version÷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kristina, you are too kind!

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous necklace! I'm not often too inspired by home made pieces but this has made me think again... #allaboutyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such kind words!! I really appreciate you stopping by to take a look.

      Delete
  3. I love it! And look at you modeling it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, I know I keep saying you should be selling your stuff on Etsy, but you should also be publishing an e-book on DIY jewellery! Love your creativity! Thanks for linking to All About You

    Mama-andmore.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

    ReplyDelete

Got a question or comment? My ear is yours.