May 15, 2015

Themed Jewelry: 'Ocean Dreams' Chain Bib Necklace


I don't generally make themed jewelry. I often take color and/or design inspiration from natural phenomena but I don't usually showcase them in such a blatant manner. I made an exception with this necklace, though, when I came across the awesome locket featured above.


I love water--like, LOVE IT. Especially the ocean. I grew up less than two hours from the Pacific and went to the beach regularly. The Oregon coast is my favorite place in the world! And now that I live in the desert southwest, I miss it something awful. So when I found this octopus locket and then the coral-shaped (acrylic) dangles, I was totally inspired to create some sort of ocean-themed necklace. I took design inspiration from the chain bib necklaces that are super trendy right now and gathered some beads from my stash that remind me of the ocean--in shades of coral (cherry quartz), blue (dyed shell and quartzite), abalone, and glass pearls.


I stuck with chain in shades of gold to keep with a summery vibe. I handmade lots of wire chain links to form the beaded strands, and added in some store-bought chain to fill in the gaps and add some variety of size.



And of course, the main feature of this necklace is the fabulous large octopus focal...which is actually a working locket. I have a major thing for lockets (though I don't know why...maybe it's the old-fashioned nostalgia?).



Bib necklaces are by nature a little on the gaudy side, and I worry a little that the locket sort of puts this one even more over the top. So, I made it easy to remove the locket portion and wear the bib without it as well.


I used a simple toggle clasp to finish off this piece--I thought the little swirl design on the toggle was reminiscent of a nautilus shell. I also think toggles are generally easier for fingers to work than tiny lobster clasps, at least when putting on a necklace that needs to lay in a particular manner and not be shuffled around a lot.


All in all, I think I'm pleased with how this necklace turned out--very close to what I originally envisioned in my head (because sometimes that just does NOT end up happening, you know?).


As a themed necklace it's not really a piece I'd wear on a daily basis, but it's certainly fun for a summer event. Although I'd never actually wear it with a yellow shirt...I'm sorry for the color clashing in the photos above and below! I just wanted to show how it lays when worn and didn't really think through the fact that I was wearing the totally wrong color of shirt. Yikes.


What do you think of themed jewelry, yea or nay? Do you love the ocean like I do? What fun jewelry are you making and wearing for summer? I'd love to know.

Sarah

Linking up with:

Friday Finds at Minted Strawberry
Link Party Palooza at I Heart Naptime
Motivational Monday at Curly Crafty Mom
Show and Tell Link Party at Flamingo Toes
Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims
Worthwhile Wednesdays at Crafty Allie

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this, I've been making a steampunk fisherwoman outfit and this would just look fabulous with it, I like themed jewellery, it's like a more grownup way of playing dressup. Hugs and cake, Frocktopus xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Frocktopus! :) I hadn't even thought of this in light of steampunk style, but it does sort of work, doesn't it? Now I'm going to have to add steampunk jewelry to my 'To Do' list! And a steampunk fisherwoman outfit?? That sounds so fantastic!

      Delete
  2. Love, love, love this! Love it! I'd love it if you shared this on Worthwhile Wednesdays.
    ~Allie www.craftyallieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Allie! I can't wait to link up to tomorrow's Worthwhile Wednesday!

      Delete

Got a question or comment? My ear is yours.