August 31, 2015

'Garden of Flowers' Wire Statement Necklace


Another wire-wrapped statement necklace finished! It's funny sometimes how I'll start with one vision and end up with something totally different than I'd originally planned. I had initially been planning a purple and yellow color scheme for this piece, but when I pulled out the purple and yellow beads I had on hand I just couldn't find a layout that I liked. So I played around with some other beads from my stash and voila, this color palette emerged.


I love love love the colors in this necklace! I'm so happy with how it turned out. Unfortunately, the lighter colored beads don't show up well over my black velvet necklace bust (this necklace looks much better with lighter shades under it), so I grabbed a couple of photos with it over my (too-casual for this necklace!) gray t-shirt so you could get a somewhat better feel for the colors. They are so much brighter and bolder in person! I think I need to find a better camera. Or a white necklace bust.


I made this piece using the same techniques I usually do (see this post for how I create my wire focal elements, and this post for how I embellish the wire elements with beads).


It took me a few tries to get the shape of the wire forms to look somewhat like the design I had in my head, but I think I'm satisfied with them. I tried to make larger 'windows' this time so it would be a little easier to embellish them with lots of colorful beads.


This necklace features beads of fuchsia and dark purple agate, lavender and green quartzite, pale green amazonite, purple amethyst, pinkish-purple lepidolite, and sparkling red crystal (no pearls! *gasp*). With the green beads at the bottom and the pink and purple beads above, I can't help but think of flowers all in a row - hence the title 'Garden of Flowers'.


While I stuck with all silver wire for most of the necklace, I couldn't help but throw a little bit of copper in for contrast in the side connector elements. I really love mixing my metals, and I especially love the contrast of silver paired with copper, but I also didn't want to take too much attention away from the beautiful, colorful beads. All of the wire elements and chain are handmade with my favorite German copper wire, as usual.


I finished things off with some handmade silver wire chain and a pretty store-bought silver floral toggle clasp flanked on either side by delicate faceted amethyst beads. I think the floral clasp is a nice compliment to the abstract floral wire focal elements.


I really love the bejeweled wire focal elements; they're sort of my handmade, artisan version of the factory-fabricated rhinestone statement necklaces that are everywhere right now.


This necklace is bright and colorful enough for summer or spring, yet because the colors are all cool tones and the purples are on the darker side it's also perfect for fall and winter.


And as usual, because the metal elements are all made of hammered wire (except the clasp), this necklace is super light weight and comfortable to wear.


I can't wait for an opportunity to dress up and wear this baby out on the town!

Have you jumped on board with the rhinestone statement necklace trend? Do you like mixing silver and copper (or other) metals? I'd love to know!

Sarah


Linking up with:

Fabulous Party at Lou Lou Girls
Show and Tell Link Party at Flamingo Toes
Worthwhile Wednesday at Crafty Allie
Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims
Idea Box - Thursday Link Party at Mila's Little Things
Friday Finds at Minted Strawberry
Link Party Palooza at Tatertots and Jello
The Creative Corner at Curly Crafty Mom
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a question or comment? My ear is yours.