April 7, 2014

Gold Fringe Earrings - 2 Ways

I'm pretty torn with my newest pair of earrings. I made a fun pair of gold wire-wrapped middle eastern-inspired earrings, but can't decide what color stone to showcase.

Turquoise (dyed howlite) stones?


Or red (coral) stones?



Turquoise?


Or red?


I just can't decide which I like better. I love the size of the turquoise beads within the gold frames and I think the turquoise better matches my style, but I love the bright pop of red from the coral beads and the coral beads are also a might less heavy. Luckily, it's easy to switch out the beads, as I didn't permanently attach them to the frames. Below is the best close-up I could get, although unfortunately it doesn't show how the focal beads dangle freely from the frames.


I had fun making these. I didn't go into the process with a specific design in mind; I just created a piece here and a piece there, then started wrapping everything together. Even the loops around the bottom of the frame are handmade--they're part of one long, continuous wire piece that I wrapped directly to the lower frame. The photos below give you a better perspective of the different sizes of the beads within the frames.



I think the red is going to win (mostly because the turquoise beads make the earrings pretty heavy). I don't wear a lot of red and none of my red items are in a style similar to these earrings, but I think this will be a good opportunity to pair some new colors together.


Which version is your favorite?

Sarah


Linking up with:
All About You at Mama--And More
Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims
We Did It! Wednesday at Sew Much Ado 
Show & Tell at Gingerly Made
Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest
The Party Bunch at Thirty Handmade Days
Link Party Palooza at Tatertots and Jello
Think Pink Sunday at Flamingo Toes
I Made This and Love It at Make It and Love It

14 comments:

  1. A- I LOVE these, and B I vote for red! I agree though, I kind of like the size of the turquoise beads better but the red gives it such a good pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebecca! :) So far I've stuck with red, but I might just have to make a 2nd pair to showcase some turquoise beads...there's just something about turquoise and summertime!

      Delete
  2. As I was reading and looking at the pictures, my thoughts were the same as yours: the turquoise would get a lot of wear and is your style, but the red looks so pretty on you! Go for the red - I noticed the turquoise in the previous post (even though they are in silver rather than gold).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind compliment! :) So far I'm sticking with red, but I have to admit I've worn the silver and turquoise pair more lol.

      Delete
  3. Oh. My. Word. These are beautiful! I'm definitely feeling the red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! I'm diggin' the red more and more myself...

      Delete
  4. Oh its the red one for sure, there is something about the traditional red and gold combo that makes one feel so classy and luxurious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I was thinking! Thanks Divya!

      Delete
  5. The red looks so stylish! Clever you. #AllAboutYou

    Mama-andmore.com

    ReplyDelete

Got a question or comment? My ear is yours.