July 2, 2014

Red, White and Blue Statement Necklace

 
I don't generally dress all cutesy for holidays, but for some reason this year I'm kind of into the patriotic look. Maybe it's because the nautical theme is so trendy right now? Red, white and navy are really popular colors to wear as part of this trend, which makes it super easy to put together cute outfits that just happen to be patriotic. In any case, I have a necklace that I made a few months back that was inspired by traditional Americana artwork and showcases lapis lazuli drops, faceted red glass beads, and clear glass geometric beads. I added some clear rhinestone chain, blue embroidery thread, and various weights of metal chains in bronze, silver and hematite colors to create a necklace that I think is perfect for the 4th of July!


I was so happy to finally find a use for the faceted blue lapis drops on this necklace. They were a gift to me several years ago from a very kind faculty member when I worked at the University of Washington, and I had been holding on to them for a long time before finding the perfect project for them. The rest of this necklace was put together from various leftover beads and scraps of chain from other projects, which gives it a rustic and eclectic look...and I think 'rustic' falls into the Americana style perfectly, which is exactly what I was going for.

 
I made this necklace using the same techniques that I used to create my Edgy Valentine's Statement Necklace, so make sure to check out that tutorial if you want to see the how-to. It's a fairly easy and quick process, so you could totally put one of your own together before the holiday!




I think even if the nautical look weren't in fashion this year this necklace alone would be enough to inspire me to don patriotic attire!


Wishing you all a happy and safe Independence Day holiday!


Do you wear red, white and blue for the 4th of July? Have you ever made holiday-themed jewelry?

Sarah

Linking up with:
Take-A-Look-Tuesday at Sugarbee Crafts
All About You at Mama--and More!
Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims
We Did It! Wednesday at Sew Much Ado 
Show & Tell at Gingerly Made
The Party Bunch at 30 Handmade Days
Link Party Palooza at Tatertots and Jello
I Made This and Love It at Make It and Love It
Think Pink Sunday at Flamingo Toes 

8 comments:

  1. Totally in awe of your cleverness! Thanks for linking to All About You!

    Mama-andmore.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. another awesome one! love this! Can you come out the the philly burbs and teach me to make this kind of necklace??? I'm scared to try haha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...a vacation to make jewelry??? I'm in! (I wish!) :) You can totally make one of these--you have mad jewelry skills my friend!

      Delete
  3. That necklace is awesome! Love how you took an on-trend design/style and made it patriotic. And it doesn't look cheesy at all. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelsy! I'm so glad it didn't turn out overly cutesy and holiday-esque...think I can get away with wearing it other times of the year besides just the 4th of July!

      Delete
  4. this is super cute, and super patriotic; perfect to remind us to keep July 4th in our hearts even when we've passed the date. I, too, have a DIY tutorial on a statement necklace. Check it out here: http://wp.me/pX2Yv-4E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete

Got a question or comment? My ear is yours.