August 10, 2015

Colorful Boho Layering Necklaces


After finishing the Egyptian-Inspired Chain Bib Necklace I had several inches of handmade chain left over. Sometimes I just save up the leftovers until I have enough bits of chain to combine and use in another statement necklace, but this time I decided to put the leftover gold and bronze chain (plus some silver chain I had left over from an older project) to use in some simple but trendy long layering necklaces.



Awhile back I came across some colorful carved stone beads in the shape of elephants that I fell in love with, and I've been waiting for just the right opportunity to use some of them...and this was the perfect project! They're fun, a little quirky, a lot colorful, and totally fit into the current boho trend.


I also picked up several of the gorgeous faceted quartz drops a couple of years back and had two left just waiting for the right project. I paired one with handmade gold chain, glass pearls, and pretty pale green amazonite beads to keep a neutral, classy tone, but threw in a deep purple elephant for a nice contrast with the pale green and to add a little bit of spunk--the mix makes for a necklace that can be dressy or casual.



The other quartz drop I wanted to keep simple and delicate. I paired it with copper chain for an earthy feel that reflects the stone's natural origins, but chose not to add in any extra adornment to keep the focus solely on the quartz drop. While the copper metal gives an earthy vibe, the handmade nature of the chain and the beautiful faceting of the quartz give an overall delicate feel. I really, really love the pairing of earthy and delicate! And being so neutral, this necklace layers well with just about every other chain-based necklace I have.



With the silver chain I decided to create a more colorful, casual piece and used another darling elephant bead, plus a carved stone spike bead I had left over from the Colorful Tribal Spike Necklace. This necklace also showcases fuchsia agate and turquoise quartzite and radiates a hip and trendy tribal vibe.



These layering necklaces are the perfect sort of project to use up your leftover bits--you know, short remnants of chain, miscellaneous charms, and those orphan beads you have left over from projects that only needed 8 beads when a package contained 12.


I know these beads are all happy to finally have a home. And all that chain is better used in these beauties than sitting in my storage bins.


Now that we're getting closer to fall the summer temperatures will start to cool a bit and I can go back to wearing necklaces. These babies are perfect for dressing up fall outfits and have tons of personality!


Have you tried the necklace-layering trend? Do you prefer neutral tones or bright and colorful jewelry? How would you wear these necklaces? I'd love to know!

Sarah


Linking up with:
Show and Tell Link Party at Flamingo Toes
Worthwhile Wednesday at Crafty Allie
Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims
Friday Finds at Minted Strawberry
Link Party Palooza at I Heart Naptime
The Creative Corner at Curly Crafty Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a question or comment? My ear is yours.