July 13, 2015

And Now For Something Different...A Colorful Tribal Spike Necklace!


Oh my goodness do I love color. I especially love very bright, happy colors, and lots of them all in one place. I think this necklace has all of that!

I really, really love the handcrafted tribal jewelry that is so trendy right now, and when I found these colorful stone spike/horn beads I was certain I could find some way to use them and immediately snatched up two packages.


I had a couple of extra wire frame components left over from my Twilight Skies necklace (that post also contains step-by-step instructions on how I create and wrap my wire focal elements) and I figured I could turn them into a single focal element for this tribal-style necklace.


I added some freshwater pearls (not glass!), small faceted crystals, and a pretty dyed jade bead to the two frames to create one focal element. On a side note, if the frames hadn't already been wrapped individually I'd rather have wrapped them as one whole unit (like the wire focal elements in this 'Caribbean Sea' necklace), but unless you're looking at the element from very close-up, you don't really notice that it's actually two separate pieces connected in the middle.


The rest of the necklace is composed of pretty stone spike beads and medium-sized gold spacer beads simply strung on 49-strand beading wire and crimped to the hammered wire elements, and a wire-wrapped strand of small blue aventurine beads above the strung spike beads and attached at the very top of the beaded wire focal.


I made small hammered bronze wire connectors to attach the two beaded strands to the upper wire chain; I kept the connectors very simple so that the focus would stay on the colorful beads.


I finished the necklace with a few inches of handmade gold wire chain (to make for less bulk around the back of the neck) and a very simple bronze toggle clasp.


I think this necklace just screams boho summer--it's so colorful and so bright and SO FUN.


I love how it turned out--pretty much exactly like what I'd envisioned in my mind before getting to work. And since I already had the handmade wire chain leftover from a previous project and the wire focal element was already half-way created (I just had to add the pearls, crystals, and jade center bead and connect the top and bottom pieces), the whole project took less than an hour.


I love all of these gorgeous colors together! The delicate strand of blue aventurine beads and the wire focal element are the perfect contrast to the bulky, earthy stone spikes. Now I just need an outdoor summer concert or street fair to dress up for!


What do you think, are you a fan of the handcrafted tribal jewelry pieces trending right now? Do you enjoy very colorful jewelry or prefer simpler pairings? How would you wear a piece like this? I'd love to know!

Sarah


Linking up with:

Show and Tell Link Party at Flamingo Toes
Worthwhile Wednesday at Crafty Allie
Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims
Friday Finds at Minted Strawberry
Link Party Palooza at I Heart Naptime
Motivational Monday at Curly Crafty Mom

2 comments:

Got a question or comment? My ear is yours.