July 12, 2015

'Green Goddess' Wire Wrapped Statement Necklace


I've been itching to create a necklace showcasing lots of beautiful shades of green, and I'm hoping my newest creation does these lovely green beads justice. Unfortunately, my (phone) camera isn't picking up the variety well, but this piece is really a mix of several shades of green, from very pale to bright kelly to a rich, deep green.


I used several sizes and shapes of aventurine, magnesite, and quartzite stone beads, as well as my ever-present favorite, glass pearls.


The silver focal frame pieces and antique bronze connectors are all handmade and wrapped in various gauges of German copper wire.


The pretty bronze flower toggle clasp is the only store bought element in this necklace, as I still haven't worked up any handmade toggles. Some day.


I love that the pretty silver wire focal forms have a sort of delicate, lacy look to them, but the large magnesite navette beads that top them are so earthy and robust--kind of a play in opposites. The magnesite navettes make a bold, bright statement, while the silver wire frames make them more feminine and fancy.


Of course, I had to add in some glass pearls as a middle strand just to break up the green a bit. The very pale beads in between the large focal elements and atop the antique bronze connectors are actually very pale green quartzite (not more pearls); their green color just doesn't seem to photograph well.


I really enjoyed playing around with a new wire focal shape, but it was a bit of a struggle wrapping the tiny green aventurine beads into the small loops of the wire frames. I don't mind the bigger loops, but the small ones can be tricky!


I'd originally planned this entire piece to be done in gold-tone wire (no mixed metals, just all gold), but unfortunately I've been having problems with the gold-coating on my wire peeling off. Don't get me wrong--my Beadalon German copper wire is still one of my very favorite supplies to work with, and I have never had problems with the silver, copper, or antique bronze versions. But, I have had this issue with the gold wire from time to time, and this project was one of them. So, a mix of silver and antique bronze it was!


All in all, I'm happy with how this piece turned out, unplanned mixed metals aside.

What do you think, too much green or a good mix of shades? Do you like the mixed silver and antique bronze, or would you rather an all-gold statement piece? How would you wear a necklace like this? I'd love to know!

Sarah


Linking up with:

Motivational Monday at Curly Crafty Mom
Show and Tell Link Party at Flamingo Toes
Worthwhile Wednesday at Crafty Allie
Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims
Friday Finds at Minted Strawberry
Link Party Palooza at I Heart Naptime

2 comments:

Got a question or comment? My ear is yours.