September 29, 2015

Upcyling and Repurposing: Silver Boho Fringe Necklace


Currently my husband and I are getting ready to move from small town, New Mexico to big city, California. We are supposed to be moving in three weeks. This of course means a lot of packing...which, since I'm a neat freak and often a minimalist, means a lot of sorting and purging as said packing takes place.


The one area where I do tend to 'hoard' things is in my jewelry studio. I have old beads from 5 years ago and unused findings and unfinished jewelry pieces and leftover extra wire elements up to my ears. I always think, 'Of course I can use this in another (future) piece!' and can't bring myself to get rid of these things which are still totally viable jewelry elements. So as I've been cleaning out and purging I've come across some of these unused hoarded bits and the wheels in my head have been turning and turning.


Last night I sat down and pulled a few of these elements together to create a fun Silver Boho Fringe Necklace, and I totally love it. It's so fun, and totally trendy with current bohemian styles!


The fringed wire elements are simple hammered frames I originally created for a totally different necklace, then didn't like how it came together. To add the fringe I simply wire-wrapped some sturdy silver chain along the hammered wire frames, then added handmade silver dangles (silver bugle beads strung on silver ball head pins with a wrapped loop)--which were originally created for and then not used with my Bombay Dreaming necklace earlier this spring!--to each chain link.


I hung these fringed wire frames from another leftover short length of silver chain--too short to be used for a necklace of its own--and added some large bead dangles (leftover from an old charm necklace) around and between the frames for embellishment.


I then completed the necklace by attaching some other smaller bits of silver chain (connected together to create longer lengths by small, decorative silver beads with wrapped loops on either end) to each side, and a simple lobster clasp at the back.


To add a bit of pizzazz to the necklace I used small jump rings to attach some pretty, iridescent AB coated rhinestone cup chain all along the top length of chain above the fringed wire frames. This really makes the necklace unique, and I love the iridescent sparkle!


This necklace is just perfect for adding a bit of late summer/autumn flare to those breezy boho styles that are everywhere right now, and I know it'll fit in just perfectly in sunny southern California! Not bad for a hodgepodge necklace made from leftover odds and ends.


Do you save old jewelry bits for repurposing? Have you ever created jewelry from leftover beads and findings? Do you enjoy the current boho trend? I'd love to know.

Sarah


Linking up with:

Worthwhile Wednesday at Crafty Allie
Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims
Idea Box - Thursday Link Party at Mila's Little Things
Friday Finds at Minted Strawberry
Link Party Palooza at Tatertots and Jello
The Creative Corner at Curly Crafty Mom
Fabulous Party at Lou Lou Girls
Show and Tell Link Party at Flamingo Toes

1 comment:

  1. This necklaces is so gorgeous. I love how you have used the rhinestone chain to add a little sparkle. Afghani-Yemeni jewelry is so in now , so this is right on trend too. I cant believe you wire wrapped the whole thing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Got a question or comment? My ear is yours.