March 26, 2014

Wire Wrapped Tribal Earrings


Are you getting tired of all this wire-wrapped jewelry yet? I don't think it's possible for me. I could make wire jewelry all day and still not be bored with it! I love taking a design I see in my head, or even an aesthetically pleasing series of shapes that I see somewhere out in my daily doings, and figuring out how to recreate it (or at least a similar version inspired by it) in wire and beads. Maybe it's from my college days as an architecture student? I've always loved building things and figuring out how to structurally recreate items that catch my eye, and jewelry is no exception. 


I've been on a kick lately to update my jewelry collection with some spring/summer pieces in the current tribal and geometric fashion trends. The design for these earrings formed in my mind at the same time as the design for my Wire Wrapped Geometric Earrings, but I wanted these to feel a little more tribal. I like the way they turned out, although they're perhaps not quite as close to what I envisioned as are my Geometric Chandeliers. The overall design and shape is pretty much on target, but the scale is a bit off--I would have preferred the triangle-shaped top piece to be a bit smaller so that the dangling bits were more the focus. Oh well, you never know exactly how a piece will turn out until you've made your first proto-type.


Once again, I used bits and pieces that I had lying around. The frames were each made with 4" lengths of 16-gauge wire, and I used 26-gauge wire to wrap and attach the smaller beads to the frames. I used 22-gauge wire to create the beaded center portions for a little extra durability. I had envisioned making the dangles with small silver tubes, but silver-lined glass bugle beads are what I had on hand, so that's what I used. I would also have preferred to use small, plain silver discs at the ends of the dangles, but patterned silver diamond-shaped beads are what I had on hand, so again, that's what I used. And truthfully, I'm actually fairly pleased with how the dangles turned out!


In order to truly love these earrings I might have to make another pair in which the top part is about half the size as in the original pair, but all-in-all, I think these are a fun design and will bring a nice tribal aesthetic to my warm-weather outfits. They kind of remind me of mini wind chimes!


And they make a fun accent to my aztec printed top that I recently got to bust out of winter storage. Hurry up spring, I want to wear t-shirts withOUT having to layer on a sweater over the top!


What do you think--is the top part too big for you, or just right? Are you a fan of the tribal trend? I'd love to know.

Sarah Marie


Linking up with:
Show & Tell at Gingerly Made
Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest
The Party Bunch at Thirty Handmade Days
Link Party Palooza at Tatertots and Jello
Think Pink Sunday at Flamingo Toes
I Made This and Love It at Make It and Love It
All About You at Mama--And More
Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims
We Did It! Wednesday at Sew Much Ado 

4 comments:

  1. They do look a bit like the ones traditional tribal goat/sheep herders wear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to do some google image searching and take a look. Thanks Divya!

      Delete
  2. I'm constantly amazed at your creativity. You really should do an Etsy shop and put the link on your post - I'd definitely buy some of them, although I think I preferred the more rounded shapes. We all have different tastes! Thanks for linking up to #AllAboutYou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind encouragement! I am indeed thinking of reopening my shop with some new items and styles...

      Delete

Got a question or comment? My ear is yours.